SHORTS FOR BOYS - AROUND THE WORLD
Do you have a heart for clothing children in need? With your sewing skills and a little fabric you can create a pair of shorts that will mean a great deal to a boy. Our church, Christ Memorial Lutheran of Malvern, Pa, has once again teamed up with Orphan Grain Train (www.ogt.org) to send 2,000 shorts to boys in Haiti and by January 31, 2012.
Last spring our drive to send 1,000 pillowcase dresses to needy girls in Haiti received an overwhelming response of 2,140 from more than 15 states! Thank you to everyone who so generously gave of their time and skills to make that possible! Many participants asked what they could do for boys. In response, we have produced a simple-to-use pattern for boys' shorts. (click here for instructions, and patterns for small, medium, and large shorts. )
Why are we excited about this program?
- We did it once before for girls, we can do it again for boys!
- The shorts pattern is easy to make, you can even use pillowcases!
- Orphan Grain Train has already reserved space on a container to ship the shorts to Haiti from their Wilmington, DE, warehouse!
- Missionaries in Haiti are prepared to distribute the clothing to those most in need along with the Gospel message!
What can you do?
Above is the link to easy patterns and instructions for sewing shorts in three sizes. These shorts can be made as simply or as creatively as you would like! Make as many as you want. Ask friends and family to help. Organize a group to get together to make shorts; last spring church groups, schools, and Girl Scouts, came together just to sew. Forward this information to someone you know who might be interested in helping our campaign. This is also ideal for young adults to use as a service project!
Where do we send the shorts?
Christ Memorial Lutheran Church, the collection site, is at 89 Line Road, Malvern, Pa, 19355; phone 610-644-4508. Shorts can be dropped off or mailed, on or before January 31, 2012, between the hours of 9am - 3pm weekdays, or 8:30am to noon on Sundays.
- Patterns (see link above)
- Youtube.com video of children in Haiti receiving shorts and dresses - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A811vv1i1zy .
- Orphan Grain Train website - www.ogt.org
- Christ Memorial Lutheran Church website - www.christmemorial.us
We need everyone's help to make 2,000 shorts by January! Please forward this to anyone who sews or knows someone who does. THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS!